Wednesday, June 14, 2006

World Cup 101

If you're like me, you are enthralled by the World Cup. After it came to U.S. soil in 1994, I've looked forward to the event with much anticipation.

Also, if you are like me, you have no idea what international soccer is all about. I know that Brazil is good, the U.S. is a tad overrated and David Beckham plays for England.

So I'm not going to pretend to know more than I don't. That's why I read from others that do. Charles Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is in Germany and updates his blog about twice a day. He really treats the blog as a complement to the regular coverage in the paper.

Of course, ESPN has about 523,872 people working for them, and more than a few contribute to their World Cup coverage.

I also like to check out the plethora of blogs from the Guardian, a media conglomerate in the United Kingdom. The writing is edgy, sharp, witty and most of all, nobody tries to dumb the lingo down to appeal to Americans.

No comments: