Sunday, February 25, 2007

Musings and ramblings

A few random thoughts while waiting for the "1 vs. 2" matchup between Ohio State and Wisconsin:

***The best thing about Saturday's snowstorm is that it gave me a chance to see Monday's North Fond du Lac vs. Oostburg girls basketball battle. I wonder why the game was moved from Saturday to Monday, and not just played earlier in the day on Saturday. Could it be because Oostburg has bad memories after losing to Ozaukee during the day in last year's playoffs?

***Ripon's Taylor Wurtz may very well be the best girls basketball player in the area, if not the state, but if the Tigers make it to state, it will be because of Erin Lind. Her ability to demand attention both on the perimeter in the paint is cruicial for Ripon's success.

***Congrats to Aaron Toll of Laconia, who won a Division 3 state championship in wrestling on Saturday in Madison. But here's my question: Why is the individual state wrestling meet divided into three divisions? It's done that way in track and swimming because they also crown the team champion at the same meet. But wrestling has a separate team championship. Why not put all the divisions together... or have a champions of the champions round where the title winners in all divisions wrestle against each other. I'd bet Toll would hold his own against the D1 and D2 winners.

***Is it just me, or do they play a lot of golf during the World Match Play championships?

***I'm working on a boys basketball playoff preview right now, and while our area may lack in marquee teams, it makes up for with intrigue. The hottest team in the area right now is Kewaskum, and it is a No. 7 seed. Ripon, Mayville and Fondy have all been playing real well lately, and all are going on the road in the first round.

***Speaking of Ripon, I think there are some people in Kiel (the Tigers' first-round playoff opponent) that wouldn't mind seeing a Ripon-Waupun rematch in the regional semifinals.

***I bought an HDTV last week and am in love. However, there is nothing more disappointing than finding out a game you want to watch isn't being broadcast in HD.

***Mark this down: Marquette will either lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament or go the Final Four. There's no inbetween.

***Every year at this time, I'm amazed that the indoor track season starts so early. We're still a few weeks away, but c'mon, at least give us a break between the state hoops tournament and the start of track.

Carry on.

2 comments:

Chris B. said...

Casper, I bought a new set on Friday night and hustled to get my HD box Saturday morning -- only to feel your fuzzy, standard-definition pain during the game in the afternoon. I kept blinking, cleaning my glasses and fretting over wasted money until I got my brother on the phone and he confirmed that my TV was not broken.

Since then I have watched four basketball games I had little interest in and was riveted by a certain sport that I had heretofore considered unwatchable. I can see the puck!

As for Marquette, barring a miracle, in two weeks they will be bubble material. Why do broadcasters keep spending the pregame calling Dominic James a top point guard and an amazing talent while the graphics display his 39 percent shooting and remind us that he has made 67 of 200 shots since New Year's Day? Ten times he's hit a third or fewer of the shots he's taken.

This is comment is getting wordy, but here's an exhaustive list of the teams against which James has hit at least half his shots this season: Detroit, E. Michigan, Duke, Northwestern State, Delaware State, Maryland-Baltimore County, Oakland, Savannah State, Seton Hall and Louisville. Only two meaningful games in there.

On the upside, he's third in the Big East in assists. Imagine where he would be if the rest of the team were divvying up the 15 terrible shots he takes in a game. I propose this rule: James can only shoot if he gets himself within six feet of the hoop. Cut his 13.5 attempts per game by half.

That's how they make your fantasy run to the Final Four, and how I shake the recurring nightmare where Tom Crean, dressed like Prince, keeps yelling "Shoot the J!. Shoot it!"

The Reporter Sports said...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the best comment ever.