Sunday, March 04, 2007

Hats off to Tom King and Laconia

I'll be completely honest with you. There are times, when planning tournament coverage, that we automatically chalk up a victory or a loss to teams come playoff time. While we are right most of the time, there are some times when we are wrong.

Count Saturday as one of those times.

I really didn't think that Laconia had a chance against Oostburg. I thought the Flying Dutchmen were having one of those years where they were unstoppable. But the Spartans proved me wrong, coming away with a 42-41 victory.

While Laconia is one of the deepest teams in the area and one with a lot of talent, I thought its draw was brutal. Aside from teams like Racine St. Catherine's and Whitefish Bay Dominican, there's Oostburg.

But now its apparent that Laconia is a very real threat to not only make the state tournament, but come home with a gold ball as well.

For photos from Saturday's game, click here.

No comments: