Tuesday, March 06, 2007

King, Wurtz remain good friends

It seems fitting that the two teams left standing from our area in the WIAA boys basketball playoffs are Laconia and Waupun.

For those that don't know the history, coach Lucky Wurtz came to Waupun after 12 years at Laconia in which he won 156 games, two conference championships and two state tournament appearances. His former assistant, Tom King, took over the program and after both men took a few years of lumps, they are now in a sectional semifinal.

Here's what Wurtz had to saw about the situation after Monday's victory over Chilton:

"The pressure was more on me. Old Kinger is calling every day, and that's great for Tom. We're the best of friends. I'm so proud of him. I told people at Laconia to just stay with him and he'll do a heck of a job and get it done. I'm happy for him. We'll talk. At least I matched him. It's competitive to see who goes farther.

"A hotel together at state would be nice."

No comments: