Saturday, November 04, 2006

No bold predictions this time

I learned my lesson last week. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about. But if you are reading this sentence, you still came back. So I guess I got the last laugh.

ANYWAYS, on to (today's) games. All intriguing matchups and all games that I wish I could attend. But alas, the coaches forgot to consult me as to when to hold kickoff, so I can only attend one.

And I shall start my commentary with the Fondy-Arrowhead tilt. I'm starting to come around as a Fondy believer. Before the brackets came out, I wasn't sure this team would win a game. After I saw the matchups, I figured they'd win at least one game and maybe give Janesville Parker or Mukwonago a challenge before falling short. But, this team just finds ways to win. The victory over Mukwonago, at least to me, wasn't impressive because of the last-minute touchdown or the two fourth-quarter touchdowns. To me, the win was impressive because Fondy allowed 360 rushing yards and didn't force a turnover, yet it still won the game. That's unreal. I'd love to see how many high school manage to run for 360 yards, don't turn the ball over and still lose. Now, Arrowhead is a big favorite in this game and they should be. They've consistently been one of the best programs in the state for several years and have been playing at a differently level than most teams this season. But, never count out a team that finds different ways to win. I'm not going to make any predictions. I'll just leave it at that.

Waupun and Kewaskum is a game that could go either way. It could be a 10-7 slugfest, or we could have a good-old fashioned donnybrook (to quote Brent Musberger). Neither team had a big offensive showing last week, which makes me believe that we'll see the same this week. I'm giving Waupun the edge just because they can beat you in so many different ways, but Kewaskum's defense is tough.

The best game of the day may turn out to be the last one... Mayville at Ripon. I think this is going to be a track meet. Scott Gillespie has been throwing the ball all over the place... and he's doing it against pretty good teams. The key is going to be if Ripon can take away more things than it can't. What I mean by that is if Ripon can take away those quick 5-yard routes that Tyson Apfelbeck and Alex Krueger like to run and find a way to keep Michael Nied in check, they can live with a few deep passes. But if they take away the deep pass and give up the 5-yard routes and Michael Nied rushes for 200 yards, well, then it will be tough. This will be a classic and one that you shouldn't miss if you can make it there.

As always, check out www.fdlreporter.com for score updates throughout the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is the information on Horicon's team for the playoffs? They are in the same conference as Mayville and other schools in the FDL area (e.g. Springs, NFDL, Lomira, Laconia). I am disappointed that the Reporter is not covering or at least including information about Horicon's games in the paper. Horicon has an excellent team and should be given some coverage. And no....I am not from Horicon but am a fan of the Wisconsin Flyway conference, which now has two teams in the semi-finals. Says something about the excellent football in the WI Flyway Conference.

Anonymous said...

you were exactly right about the last game, it was a classic and it reminded me alot of the 2004 game. matt haass has always had big games against the tigers, and this was no different. in fact, if his line would have protected him a little bit, this score could have been a lot different. on a side note, for a level 3 playoff game between what i would consider rivals, there was little to no atmosphere at this game until the second half started. i was kind of suprised, but it did turn out to be a great game.