Monday, April 02, 2007

It's the first game for us writers, too

I don't cover too many Brewers games — probably less than 20. But I'd like to think that I am somewhat smooth when it comes to interviewing the players.

Well, it took me a little bit to get going today. I asked a pretty stupid question to infielder Craig Counsell. I basically wanted to find out what he thought his role on the team was. Granted, he's going to be a solid contributor to the squad, but when people think of the team, they don't really consider him among the top players. However, Counsell won two World Series rings and knows what it takes, therefore making him a valuable commodity for the younger players on the team.

Rather than blabber something that winded, I just blurted out, "Is the best thing that you can do for this team is teach the young guys how to win?"

I'm fortunate Counsell didn't smack me in the face with his cleats. Instead, he thought better of that and said: "The best thing I can do is play good. They know what they are doing. We all watch each other so it’s every body’s job to go about it the right way and set a good example."

For more on Counsell, be sure to read tomorrow's Reporter for more of my awkward interview with the Whitefish Bay native.

By the way, the Brewers lead 2-1. This blog isn't going to be heavy on the actual updates, considering there are so many other outlets for you to get that information.

No comments: