Monday, April 02, 2007

Some Ned Yost postgame quotes

OVERALL THOUGHTS: It was just a very, very well-played game. I told the kids after the game that this could very well literally be the best game that I’ve ever had the opportunity as manager to watch a team play.

ON SHEETS: It made me a little nervous in the ninth inning after Brady (Clark) got the base hit was that this was the first time Benny was in the stretch all day long. It was one out in the ninth before he got in the stretch. But he finished it up and nailed it down.

ON SHEETS' PITCH COUNT: I told Johnny (Estrada) that we could go to 105 (pitches) if we needed to. I wasn’t going to go much over that the first time out. Benny felt strong and felt good and was ready to go back out there in the ninth inning.

ON THE IMPORTANCE OF WINNING OPENING DAY: If we would have lost I would have said not too important. Really, in all honesty, its one of 162 games. It’s excitement because everyone has been waiting all winter for this game and there’s nothing like it to come in and win Opening Day. But the world doesn’t end if we don’t. We started 5-0 last year, and … you know. It’s really nice to go ahead and get the win today, but it’s one win out of 162 games. That’s all that it means.

ON WHAT HE'S MOST HAPPY WITH: I’m really happy about the way the kids played the ballgame today. I’m happy with our baserunning. I thought we ran the bases extremely smart and aggressively. I’m happy with our defense. And I’m happy, finally, hopefully that I don’t have to answer questions about Ben Sheets’ health.

No comments: