Friday, October 06, 2006

Look out Lomira, here I come

Seriously. It would be nice if you kept an eye out for me, because I have a tendency to get lost. So wave your arms and holler my name.

Because I don't want to miss my one shot of seeing John Weninger in action.

The Lomira running back has been one of the major stories of this season. I believe he has rushed for a little more than 92,000 yards and has scored 82 touchdowns. (Actually, I may have exagerrated. You can click here for his actual stats).

I decided it's about time I see what all the fuss is about. I'll be live and in color from Lomira High tonight when the Lions take on reeling St. Mary's Springs. The matchup itself may not seem all that glamarous, but there are some story lines.

One of them is Weninger himself. I keep wondering when a team is going to figure out how to stop him. You'd think that a guy that gets the ball 30-35 times a game would eventually run out of steam. But not Weninger. I think there were two times this year where he's had every yard of the Lions' game-winning drive.

I can't believe he's doing it alone. He's got to have a pretty good offensive line, and I'll get to check them out. I know that Lomira has a pretty good defense as well.

I'll also be interested to see how Springs handles the game. It hasn't been a great year for the Ledgers, we all know that. But I also know that they still have one of the best coaches ever in Bob Hyland, and they still aren't done yet. Last year Springs needed to win its last game of the season just to finish .500 in the conference and get into the playoffs.

Once they were in, they made it all the way to Madison. Don't think it can't happen again. But they have to win tonight.

No comments: