Monday, October 30, 2006

Tragedy in Waupun

My thoughts are with the friends and family of Michael Smits, a Waupun senior that was killed in a car accident in downtown Waupun on Saturday.

From what I gather from the story, Smits was a big supporter of Waupun athletics. He was seen at every event, and after the Warriors' big victory over Wisconsin Lutheran was getting ready to drive to McFarland to watch the girls volleyball team try to go to state.

I didn't know Smits, but he seems like the type of guy I'd hang out with in high school. I ran with a group of guys that was at every high school event... volleyball, cross country, etc. So this tragedy hits a little bit harder.

One of the reasons I love doing what I do is because of the students. I love their passion and the excitement that they bring to every game. I love the ones that take what they do as seriously as the players. I love their creativity. I love the ones that support their school no matter the sport or opponent or game.

And I hate that Michael can't be there on Friday or Saturday.

I'd imagine it will be a noticeable void this weekend when the Waupun football team plays Kewaskum in a third-round playoff game on Saturday and when the Waupun girls volleyball team goes for yet another state championship at the Resch Center in Green Bay.

If there are any Waupun students that know Michael and want to share a story or two, feel free to e-mail me your memories of him. You can reach me at jcasper@fdlreporter.com or by leaving a comment on this post. I'd like to repost some of them here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my thoughts and prayers go out to the people of waupun, the students, the school, the athletic teams, the friends, and especially the family of smits...there's never a good time for the passing of anyone, but it has to be hanging heavy over the players knowing he was such a big supporter...now i am pulling for waupun even more to make a deeper run...good luck warriors