Wednesday, September 27, 2006

If only I worked at ESPN

I feel that Friday night needs a name. ESPN likes to go nuts with the "Showdown Saturdays" and "Seperation Saturdays" or "Semi-sedated Saturdays" for those weekends when most of the good teams have byes.

But Friday isn't as user-friendly as far as the snappy names are concerned. Maybe if I had a thesaraus things would be different. But I don't have a thesaraus. I have a newsroom and a camera. Wait, I mean I have a newspaper and a blog.

Sorry for the poor Anchorman reference. But yeah, this weekend needs a name.

Until I think of one, this is what we are looking at this weekend:

Fond du Lac at Oshkosh West: This is usually a big basketball rivalry, but there's a lot riding on this year's football matchup. The winner gets a spot in the playoffs and their conference championship hopes stay alive. West, however, still has yet to play Kimberly, a team that has yet to be challenged.

Horicon at Mayville: I guess this game means something to the people in these towns. I received a few e-mails this week saying that there was vandalism on Mayville's practice field. While I can't condone that, the excitement around the game has me intrigued. For more on the rivalry, visit the Mayville football site.

Sheboygan Falls at Kewaskum: Some of the luster was taken off this mathcup after both were upset by Kiel and Plymouth, respectively, but it still should be a good game. I've had both at No. 1 in my Division 3 poll at some point this year (Wisconsin Lutheran is my No. 1 now) and I'd think the winner of this game will have the inside track to the EWC title.

WLA at Ripon: The last two times these teams have met a trip to a state semifinal was on the line. And in both instances, Ripon smacked WLA in the mouth, including a 35-0 victory last year at Ingalls Field. But WLA is playing extremely well on defense lately, and may have the speed to keep up with Ripon's run game. The Tigers received a boost last week when David Soda returned to the offense and scored three rushing TDs. Soda, of course, broke his ankle against WLA last year.

Yeah, this weekend definitely needs a name, but Friday doesn't really go with anything. Fantastic Friday? Feature Friday? Fun Friday? All lame. Any others would make my bosses angry and my mother blush.

Still, you should get excited.

No comments: