Friday, September 01, 2006

A quick look at tonight's matchups

Was it just me, or did the last week fly by? It seems that it was yesterday we were getting ready, and now all of a sudden, we are on to Week 2.

Most teams don't begin conference play until next week, but there are still a handful of games that will speak volumes about where these teams are headed or what they need to work on.

I wish I could be in two places at once, because I'd love to see Ripon play Sheboygan Falls. I strongly believe that it was Ripon's 12-6 victory over Falls last year that was the springboard for its undefeated state championship season. That was the most intense, early-season nonconference game I have ever seen. I'd imagine tonight's game will be similar, although I'd look for Falls to break through and take this one.

Mayville and Campbellsport should be another good one to watch. Mayville got off to a rough start with a 22-21 loss against a very good Brodhead-Juda team in which it threw an interception deep in Brodhead territory late in the game. I'd look for Matt Haass to get back on track this week for the Cardinals, but Mayville is going to have to figure out how to slow down Campbellsport's Billy Mayer and Lance Schumacher, who just ran all over Fox Valley Lutheran last week.

The one conference game we have this week is the one I'll be covering. Fondy plays host to Kimberly in a battle of two teams that won their FVA openers last week. I was impressed with Fondy's offense. Ben Anderson has a great touch on his pass and I like the way the Cardinals were able to move the ball. I'd like to see Fondy try a little more through the air this week. Kimberly has a big defensive line, and Fondy might need to use the pass to open up the run instead of the other way around.

As for the other games, North Fondy plays host to Ozaukee. Remember that you heard it here... North Fondy will win. I've got a feeling about the Orioles this weekend and I think they'll get it done.

I'll be making the radio rounds tomorrow. I'll be on the Coach's Playbook, which airs on WFDL-AM 1170 from 5-6 p.m. I'll also make an appearance on Ripon's pre-game show on WRPN-AM 1600. That begins at 6:30. And depending on how the Packers game goes, I might make an appearance on KFIZ's pre-game show for the Fondy game (AM 1450). Or if you really, really want to hear my voice you can call my number at work and listen to my voice mail.

No comments: