Friday, September 08, 2006

WLA-Springs highlights Week 3 games

It's amazing to think that after tonight we'll be 1/3 of the way through the prep football season. It seems like only yesterday we were putting the finishing touches on our annual football preview issue. Before you know it, we'll be talking about playoffs, even if Jim Mora thinks that's a little insane.

Conference play begins tonight for all the teams in the Eastern Wisconsin Conference and all but one in the Wisconsin Flyway (or what I like to call the Wi-Fly, I'm hoping it catches on).

Fondy plays nothing but conference games until the postseason, so their fully ensconsed in the Fox Valley Association race. While the Cardinals don't desperately need a victory over Neenah tonight, they do need something positive on defense to carry them throughout the season. The Rockets have struggled on offense as of late, which hopefully will help give the Fondy defensive unit some confidence.

Ripon has to play a game after a loss for the first time since late in the 2004 season after a 45-21 loss to Sheboygan Falls. And while that game with the Falcons should give the Tigers character, tonight's game with Mauston should give them some confidence. Mauston was blown out last week by Waupun, 43-0.

But the game of the week, as far as, well, anyone is concerned is WLA vs. Springs. I'm a big fan of rivalry games, and I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Both teams have quarterback issues, but I'm sure both replacements will find a way to get the job done come Friday night. I'd look for Springs to have the advantage in this one, but WLA has won the last three.

I will be making the usual appearances on all the local radio stations, so be sure to listen in to those. Also, on Sunday night, I'll be appearing on WFRV's High School Sports Xtra with Burke Griffin. It's 13 feet and 600 pounds of pure, unalduterated high school sports talk, so you can't miss that. I'll be breaking down this weekend's big games as well as a rivalry game from my old stomping grounds — Oshkosh West vs. Oshkosh North.

If you really can't wait to hear what I have to say, you can click here for my conversation with Jason Mansmith of WRPN-AM 1600 for the Ripon pre-game show. WRPN has a great radio station and a pretty nice sports Web site to boot. Check it out.

No comments: